- Lighting A full to part sunny spot is welcome. Echeveria derenbergii needs a minimum of 3 hours direct sunlight per day.
- Soil Regular mixes for cacti and succulents can be used or a mixture of regular potting soil, bird sand and pumice (2:1:1).
- Watering Let the soil dry or nearly dry between the waterings. Water sparingly if placed cool during winter.
- Feeding Every 4th to 8th week when in active growth with cacti liquid fertilizer or a standard liquid fertilizer at half strength. Spikes or granules at half strength can be given 2 to 3 monthly. New bought or recently repotted plants don’t need to be fed for the first year.
- Temperature The Painted-Lady does best with a winter rest period at 3 to 10 °C (37 to 50 °F). Minimum temperature is 1 °C (34 °F).
- Propagation Offsets, leaf cuttings, stem cuttings or seeds.
For showing its beautiful flowers the Painted-Lady needs a cool winter rest period.
Offsets can be used as cuttings.
Echeveria derenbergii can store water in its leaves.
Echeveria derenbergii likes a sunny spot on the balcony or in the garden from spring to fall. But make sure that rain water can run out of the pot’s hole. Because wet legs can cause root rot.
- Scientific name
- Common name(s)
10 to 20 cm
Echeveria “Fabiola” is a crossing between E. purpusorum × E. derenbergii and can be cultivated as described here.