- Lighting Needs bright light to full sun for intensive leaf coloring. Tolerates morning sun, evening sun and afternoon sun.
- Soil Standard compost for container plants can be used. Codiaeum variegatum also grows good in mixes for vegetables or herbs.
- Watering Let the soil moderately dry between the waterings. 2/3 to 3/4 of the pots height.
- Feeding When in active growth with standard liquid fertilizer (monthly), spikes or granules (2 to 3 monthly).
New bought or recently repotted plants don’t need to be fed for the first year.
- Temperature The Croton likes it warm the year round with a winter minimum of 15 °C (59 °F). 12 °C (53 °F) will be tolerated for a short time.
- Propagation At 22 to 30 °C (72 to 86 °F) cuttings need 3 to 6 weeks to root.
A cultivar with yellow marbled leaves.
Young Crotons grown from cuttings.
Here in Germany flowers can appear from summer to fall.
- Scientific name Codiaeum variegatum
- Common name(s) Garden or Variegated Croton
- Family Euphorbiaceae
- Origin Tropical Asia, Australia, Southwestern Pacific
- Height Up to 3 meters
- Toxic Yes