- Lighting The variegated cultivars need bright light to full sun for intensive leaf coloring. Green forms also do good in partial shade. Tolerates morning sun, evening sun and afternoon sun.
- Soil Regular mixes for container plants, vegetables or herbs can be used.
- Watering Let the soil moderately dry between the waterings. 2/3 of the pots height.
- Feeding When in active growth with standard liquid fertilizer (monthly), spikes or granules (2 to 3 monthly).
New bought or recently repotted plants don’t need to be fed for the first year.
- Temperature Moses-in-the-Cradle can be grown warm the year round with a winter minimum of 12 °C (53 °F).
- Propagation Cuttings from side shoots, division
Green leaved Moses-in-the-Cradle also grows good if placed light shaded.
Tradescantia spathacea “Tricolor” needs a bright to sunny place to show its variegated leaves.
- Scientific name Tradescantia spathacea (syn. Rhoeo discolor)
- Common name(s) Moses-in-the-Cradle, Boat Lily
- Family Commelinaceae
- Origin Central America (Mexico to Guatemala)
- Height 30 cm
- Toxic No but not edible.